The NBA is right around the corner and I couldn’t be more excited. The NBA is my version of the NFL. I absolutely love it. NBA league pass has been ordered, fantasy drafts have taken place, and my yearly therapy session on the Supersonics move has gotten my mind right. At the risk of sounding cocky, I dare say I know more about the NBA than 99% of people out there.Today I am going to bless you, and your wallets with some of that knowledge. Since Seattle no longer has a team I have adopted the Houston Rockets. I stuck with the Thunder when they moved and loved that they drafted James Harden. When he got traded, I traded who I was rooting for. Today I am going to tell you my predictions for playoff seeding in both conferences and pick winners in each playoff series. A lot can change based on injury but as it sits now these are my predictions.
1. Golden State Warriors – Rarely do you win a championship and are still able to say nobody believes in is.
2. Los Angeles Clippers – They will be able to close out tight games with Chris Paul and Paul Pierce. The addition of Lance will you make you dance will help provide another playmaker. I also like there team chemistry as it seems like they had some real bonding time this summer.
3. Houston Rockets – They are the deepest in the league. The addition of Lawson will help get Harden off the ball and allow him to catch and attack the defense instead of having them set trying to stop him.
4. San Antonio Spurs – They learned their lesson last year when they didn’t clinch home court in any round of the playoffs. Look for them to continue to rest everyone but still clinch home court advantage in round 1.
5. Oklahoma City Thunder – Durant and Westbrook are the best 1-2 combo in the league. Ibaka is a good 3rd option if he stops taking so many long jump shots. Outside of them I guess Enes Kanter, Mitch McGary, and Dion Waiters are supposed to get me excited?
6. New Orleans Pelicans – Anthony Davis.
7. Memphis Grizzlies – They kept basically the same team they had last year just got another year older. To quote Aunt Bee from The Andy Griffith Show “You’re no spring chicken anymore.”
8. Utah Jazz – The 8th spot in the west is wide open. I picked the Jazz mainly because I don’t like any of the other teams very much. I am putting my trust into you Gordan Haywood and Rudy Gobert. Don’t let me down.
1. Cleveland Cavaliers – Shocker that they are number one.
2. Chicago Bulls – I like that they got a new coach off season. Down low with Noah, Gasol, Gibson, and Mirotic will be a tough matchup for anyone. I am a little worried about the Rose/Butler situation but chances are Derick will miss a lot of game so it really won’t matter.
3. Miami Heat – I am in love with the heat this year. D-Wades health is always a concern, but there starting lineup is as good as anyone’s in the league.
4. Washington Wizards – It’s a tossup between them and the Bucks at number 5. I think Beal is due for a good season and Otto Porter will finally show why he was a lottery pick.
5. Milwaukee Bucks – I have a vested interest in the Bucks because there is chance no matter how small that they move to Seattle. I like their talent but am not quite sure how Greg Monroe will fit in.
6. Atlanta Hawks – I didn’t think they were THAT good last year. They were solid but never for one second did I think they were title contenders. The loss of DeMarre Carroll will hurt them more than the average fan thinks.
7. Toronto Raptors – Kyle Lowry is in shape. I know it’s nice when an athlete who gets paid millions a year to play basketball can show up in shape, but Lowry rarely has. Look for him to dominate and make the all-star team with Kyrie being hurt
8. Boston Celtics – They will squeak into the playoffs much like last year. There best player is Isiah Thomas then after that who knows? Evan Turner? If you want to see something funny watch LeBron James guard Turner. LeBron looks like he is trying to steal Turner’s soul away.
Playoffs – Round 1
Warriors vs Jazz=Warriors in 4
Clippers vs Grizzlies=Clippers in 6
Rockets vs Pelicans=Rockets in 6
Spurs vs Thunder=Thunder in 7
Cavaliers vs Celtics=Cavaliers in 4
Bulls vs Raptors=Bulls in 5
Heat vs Hawks=Heat in 6
Wizards vs Bucks=Wizards in 6
Warriors vs Thunder=Warriors in 6
Clippers vs Rockets=Rockets in 7
Cavaliers vs Wizards= Cavaliers in 5
Bulls vs Heat= Bulls in 7
Warriors vs Rockets=Rockets in 7
Cavaliers vs Bulls=Cavaliers in 6
Cavaliers vs Rockets= Cavaliers in 6
Football season starts tomorrow!!! It is the second greatest day of the year besides when the NBA starts. I want to brag a little today about my fantasy team names, make some predictions that way I have them in writing, and name the two teams that will be in the Super Bowl this year.
I take great pride in naming my fantasy teams. I like to have something funny, offensive or a combination of the two in my name. Two years ago during the whole Aaron Hernandez trial I went the team name Aaron Hernanderris. An instant classic. Last year all I heard was about the Washington Redskins names being offensive so I really pushed the envelope with my team name…The Washington Whiteskins. This year I was struggling to think of something. I thought about doing a name referencing deflated footballs, but thought that was to easy. Only chumps would do something that easy. Then I got lucky and Geno Smith got punched and broke his jaw. Poor Geno. Lucky Derris. In fact, after that happened I didn’t even have to pick the name, the name picked me. Fitzpatrick’s Hit Man.
If you think you can top that leave a comment with your fantasy team name. My second favorite name I have heard this year is JPP’s Missing Finger.
Also while on the subject of fantasy, I am a 12 team league and got stuck with the 7th pick! That’s the worst spot you could possibly be. There are only 5 or 6 guys on the top level and none of them were left for me to pick. It’s like having a draft picking The Office characters. Michael, Jim, Dwight, Pam, Kevin, and Toby would be gone instantly. There is nothing wrong with Angela, Meredith, Oscar, etc…They are just not on the same level the first six. If you disagree with Toby being there, you’re wrong. What Michael does to him a daily basis in the show makes him one of the top 6 characters.
If you don’t watch The Office and didn’t get the metaphor here’s one you might understand. If you don’t watch The Office you should probably start as it is the greatest show ever. Secondly imagine it’s Star Trek or am I thinking about Star Wars? I’m not sure, there both pretty much the same exact thing so it doesn’t really matter. Imagine the first 6 (I guess I’ll go with Star Wars movies) are off the board. You are then stuck with Clone Wars. It’s just a horrible spot to be in.
All I want to do is be able to bet on sports. I would do it in a wise way and not bet too much, although I feel like I know enough about sports to be successful at it. Saying that though it is easy to pick the winners looking back at them once the season ends. I figured this year I will get them in writing and will have stick with what I picked. If I have good year I may or may not be moving to Las Vegas for next year. My bags are packed though.
Here are my AFC division winners:
I know I know, I am going with the exact teams that won them last year, but I don’t see that changing.
In the NFC I am going with:
A little more variety from last year in the NFC.
In the AFC Wild Card I will go with:
Texans (I love JJ Watt so I am a little biased)
And in the NFC
Lions or Cowboys
If I have to pick one I will go with Lions. Sorry Cowboy fans.
In the NFC it has never been easier to pick the Super Bowl participant. The Detroit Lions. Kidding. Sorry Lions fans. I am a Lions fan and I know how much that just hurt. I probably shouldn’t have even brought it up. I will go with the Seahawks.
In the AFC I have zero idea. How about the Steelers for a little Super Bowl rematch of XL.
The Super Bowl winner will be…..
The Seattle Seahawks.